by Dr. Jack Singer
Do you desire a healthy life, but feel like the road to that lifestyle is an impossible one? The truth is that a life of vitality and energy is within your reach. If you’re willing to take a few simple steps toward your dreams, they can become reality. And this can happen quicker than you might think!
Follow these strategies to begin experiencing the healthy life you deserve, starting today:
- Change your dietary habits. Small changes can make a big difference. Eat more fresh fruits and vegetables, for example. Choose whole-grain foods, and eat as much fiber as possible. Cut back on the sugar.
- Stop smoking. Certainly you already know the health risks of smoking. Quitting smoking offers you many wonderful consequences. You’ll experience smells that might have been absent from your life for years. You’ll breathe easier and have more energy. If you smoke, the most powerful thing you can do for yourself and your family is to quit.
- Reduce or eliminate alcohol. Drinking occasionally is okay. But binge drinking is harmful to your liver and other organs. Drink responsibly by limiting your intake of harmful alcoholic beverages.
- Drink plenty of water. Water detoxifies your body and provides cells with much-needed hydration. If you feel low in energy, you might be surprised at how effective a glass of water can be at perking you up. Low energy is often a sign of dehydration. Drink water when you wake up, before each meal, and as often as you can.
- Keep your body “regular.” Maintaining a regular bowel habit will produce lots of energy and make you feel healthy. Eat greens as often as possible to keep yourself regular. Fiber also helps your body to flush out toxins and fat. Eat as many whole grains, fruits, and vegetables as possible to add as much fiber as you can to your diet.
- Exercise. Incorporate physical movement into your lifestyle for added energy and confidence. Try going for a walk at least 30 minutes a day, cleaning your house, gardening, or playing outside with the kids. Exercise increases your heart rate and respiration rate, providing more oxygen to your cells.
- Keep your mind fresh and healthy. Read as often as possible. Play mind games, like crossword puzzles and logic problems. Challenge yourself to games and recreational activities that are outside of your comfort zone. A fit mind works in tandem with your fit body to help you create the lifestyle you crave.
- Stay up to date with your doctor visits. Most family doctors recommend that you see them at least once a year for a routine physical. Other checkups, like regular prostate or breast exams, may be recommended more often. So check with your family physician.
- Get plenty of rest. Everyone needs a different amount of rest. For most, a minimum of 6 to 8 hours of quality sleep is a must for optimum health.
- Hang around with like-minded people. If you want to be healthy, spend time with people who are healthy. Seek friendships with people that consider their health a priority in their lives. Spend less time with people that sit around all day and more time with active people. If you do, you’ll have a tendency to become healthy like those people.
A healthy life is within your reach. If you follow these simple strategies and remain patient, you’ll see, feel, and experience the amazing benefits of the healthy lifestyle you deserve.
I am also available for phone consultations with athletes around the U.S. and in-person visits with athletes in Southern California. Call today toll free at 1-800-497-9880 for a free 20 minute telephone consultation with Dr. Jack Singer.
Jack N. Singer, Ph.D.
Certified and Licensed Sport and Clinical Psychologist
Diplomate, National Institute of Sports Professionals, Division of Psychologists
Diplomate, American Academy of Behavioral Medicine
Certified Hypnotherapist, American Academy of Clinical Hypnosis